Get Your Drink On: Healthy Beverages Quench More Than Your Body’s Thirst
The human body is made up of about 60% water, so it is obviously important that we stay hydrated. From our morning “fuel” to our thirst quenching beverages, we are constantly consuming liquids. Many of us will just blindly choose whatever may be at hand…cough cough…sugary soda. These oblivious choices are filled with empty calories and little nutrition. What are the better choices you ask?
1) Green Tea: It is time to go green in more ways than one! Green tea is loaded with flavanoids and polyphenols, which are natural antioxidants that protect your cells from cancer-causing carcinogens. The antioxidants found in green tea have also been shown to strengthen teeth and bones as well as reduce the risk of heart disease by relaxing blood vessels. Delicious hot or cold, this tasty-floral beverage can be enjoyed year round. Try replacing your afternoon coffee with an invigorating cup of green tea.
2) Soy Milk: High cholesterol meat your maker! This super-drink comes packed with soluble fiber and soy protein, which have been shown to lower levels of LDL’s (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides in the blood. Choose soy milk fortified with calcium and vitamin A for an extra boost of nutrition. Don’t like the taste? Try vanilla or chocolate flavorings, great flavor alternatives that will make you make you forget all about the soy milk stereotypes!
3) Orange Juice: I know you are not surprised to see this nutritional staple on the list, but are you drinking the BEST orange juice you possibly can? Orange juice contains vitamin C, folate, and antioxidants, which all promote a better state of wellness. Vitamin C can protect against can protect against cell oxidation, fortifies eye function, and helps strengthen your immune system. Look for varieties with added calcium for a bone-strengthening combination. Feeling even more healthy? Opt for high-pulp varieties for an added dose of fiber!
4) Coffee: Yes, I said coffee! Also known as “rocket-fuel” to many, this morning staple is keeping you healthy in more ways than one. Coffee has been shown to increase levels of happiness (dopamine release), increase mental sharpness, and also fight cancer-causing free radicals. So hit your local coffee shop and feel good about it!
5) Kombucha: Here is the wildcard on our list! Kombucha in the United States is often found in the form of an effervescent-chilled beverage. This fizzy beverage has been extremely popular recently due to it’s many health claims. Kombucha has been said to promote liver health, increase energy, and fortify digestive function. How you ask? Kombucha is a fermented beverage, wich means it contains good bacteria much like that of yogurt. Combine this good bacteria with an assortment of B-Vitamins and you have a tasty and healthy powerhouse. Just be careful not to shake the bottle!